Monday, June 12, 2006

Night Birds

I love night birds!

Granted, this is just insomnia, nothing noble, but it DID let me hear the night birds screaming again. They sing during the day, but at night, they do something else. Maybe it's...
  • experimentation with emo-style birdsong
  • political rallying (anti-human, maybe?)
  • holding murder trials (they say ravens do that)
  • tribal bird rites of some sort
  • teenager birds trying to wake people up
...Whatever it is, at night they scream. But in such a way that listening to it usually doesn't give me the heebies...it does make me tingly, though, and want to go put on my ninja outfit. (No, I don't really have a ninja outfit. If you want to send me one, though, that'd rock!)

I don't know about you, but I can only sleep for so long (couple hours at most) without waking up. And when I wake up, it can be awful to try to get back to sleep! The brain gets in high gear sometime while I'm sleeping, and then you might as well try to relax in the middle of a demolition derby. I don't "lie awake worrying"; I worry in my sleep and then by the time I wake up I'm a wreck!

I usually don't get out of bed if I don't have to--that makes going back to sleep even harder--but sometimes it's unavoidable. From what I gather, having one's nightly sleep broken by an hour of two of aggravating wakefulness (aggravating minus the night birds, of course) is pretty normal, or at least I know it's not just me. Perhaps it's a genetic or psychological protection against being "out of it" for too long, or a symptom of modern living. (Maybe if I got up at 4 a.m. and worked a farm all day, I'd sleep like a rock...instead I spent most of yesterday in the hospital with my mom--she hurt her knee--and driving places.)

Anyway, yay night birds! Maybe I can catch this last hour of sleep now...

-PD

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home