Friday, July 21, 2006

Day 5 Produceth a Lesson

...And that lesson is: Thou Shalt Not eat too soon before a nap.

I'd been waking up on my own for a few naps, a couple minutes ahead of the timer, and feeling good, even at 5 a.m. today. Then my lunch appointment got started late, and I ended up eating at about 1:15, finishing about 1:45, and getting my nap at 2:15. I slept, but I woke up crazy groggy. I had to drink a cup of "real coffee" to wake up, and this from someone who's down to 1-2 cups of half-caff in the morning and that's it. (It's rather funny, since I quit I can "feel" real coffee again. I haven't gotten a buzz from coffee since I was like, 13!)

There was another time I though I could trace the grogginess to having eaten, but this is much more conclusive.

All of this is hilarious on a very strange level...Now I'm on the "Eat, Activity, Sleep" cycle that's how I was advised to raise babies, and which advice probably saved my butt because my daughter was an *awful* sleeper. As soon as the baby wakes, you see if it's hungry and feed it if it is. Then you set up something for it to play with or do (at least once a day, by itself--but supervised, of course). When it starts to fuss, you know it isn't hungry again yet, so if the butt's good and it's been a few hours, you put the little bundle back to bed, and--even if it's a lovely bundle like mine that wakes every 2-3 hours around the clock for seven months--it will sleep. It was called the "EASY" schedule, the "Y" being "your time", a much-needed reminder to new mothers to chill while the baby naps.

And now I'm the one on it. Freaky.

By the way, if you ever wonder why some parents seem to develop a psychological problem where they relate almost everything to the experiences their children have provided for them, I'll tell you: It's a trauma, from the extreme sleep-deprivation some of us go through. I was nearly hospitalized for hallucinations. So I have an excuse. ;)

Alrighty, naptime.

-PD

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home