Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Another Smack / More Lessons

*sigh* Well, I'm not going to get upset about it this time (at least not as upset as I got a few days ago), but I overslept *again*. And this time it was the dumbest possible mistake...I was doing great yesterday, feeling good and not getting tired until 30-45 minutes before naptime, and sleeping well, and getting up with the timer with no trouble at all. So I blithely laid down at 2:00 (I was tired by then; really groggy, which I hadn't been since the drive into work yesterday morning--more on that later) -- but I figured the timer would wake me and I didn't want to bother with the other alarm, since I'd have to reset it again at 6:00. I did lay out the things I wanted to do when I woke up, and overall felt quite on top of things.

So what happened? It was hot last night, and I rolled over in my sleep and rolled onto the timer, shutting it off. Sheesh.

I only slept three hours -- woke up at 5:00 sharp -- which is a good sign that in spite of my screwups I'm making progress adjusting. I got up and did a really heavy Pilates routine followed by a shower, which enabled me to get a few minutes' sleep at my 6:00 nap, which is good. (Oversleeping is bad; oversleeping and missing naps because of it is worse.) But from now on, dammit, BACKUP ALARMS AT 2 AND 6, even if it doesn't feel like I'll need it!! I don't want any more mistakes; I'm anxious to get past the tiredness and start enjoying this more. I did mention that I really loathe being tired, right?

Oh, one more thing I should mention...I'm noticing that the 40-minute commute to and from work is a big challenge; I get very groggy having to drive that long, even if I'm wide awake when I start. Long drives are not something I had to deal with before, and I don't recall having read about anybody else's experience with them; but it was easier today than yesterday, so perhaps it'll stop being a problem once I'm adjusted.

...I did find myself thinking, in the shower, that perhaps I can see what the attraction of "core sleep" is; I felt great after that 3 hour snooze, and I could totally see doing it on a weekend or something as a treat, if it could be managed so it didn't screw up the naps on either side of it. (For instance, if I'd pushed my 2:00 to 3:00 and slept until 6:00, maybe.) But I still think that any and all tinkering with the schedule should be avoided for at least a month (perhaps I should say "a good month", as in, until after one's had a whole month with no problems), so for now my job is just to stay on the freaking schedule for longer than a day and a half at a time! Grr!

-PD

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Perhaps smelling salts would be useful for increasing alertness on those long drives (or even just after waking up...)

I'm going to get some and test them out!

Anthony

11 July, 2006 22:55  
Blogger PureDoxyk said...

Not a bad idea, hey...

11 July, 2006 23:02  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What helped me a lot during driving is to sing franatically.

12 July, 2006 03:27  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yer a daring girrrl to be driving on day 3. :->

On long distance drives, which I've done a bunch of, my tips for staying awake:

cold air, preferably from a window open to some bearable degree but a/c on as well if necessary

'the skoot' - namely:
wiggle fingers,
wiggle toes,
arch the back & stretch forward with the ribcage,
curl the hips under,
lift/stretch one hip off the seat,
then the other.

rhythmically.

:->
Heidi

12 July, 2006 07:22  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Pure! Just a warning you might be interested in: Driving while feeling sleepy has the same effect as driving drunk. I kid you not! Google it.

Jeroen (the guy who asked you about sporting and Uberman)

13 July, 2006 15:40  

Post a Comment

<< Home